Friday, August 10, 2012

Fiction: Untitled Story

"You have nothing to worry about," he said as she slouched in the passenger's seat of his car.
She worried anyways, even now as his hand cupped the back of her head in his hand, she felt the chill and overwhelming wave of depression at the thought of what else could go wrong. It felt to her as if something was coming, an apocalypse of suck; a force named Cynthia.

The existence of Cynthia in everyone's lives came abruptly, aggressive, and with the intent of monopolizing nearly all of the important friends Indee had in her life at the time. Indee had a tough start to begin with, if it weren't for her older mentor Zachariah , she would not have began to pursue music. Without him she found no use in asking nor hearing anyone else's opinions, no use in trying. So almost five years have passed since Indee first became acquainted with Zach and in that time Cynthia appeared--a threat to her territory of course--slim, tall, a full knowledge of music and music history, all set to win over any musician within reach. And that's what she did.

Indee

It was naive for me to think my simplicity and mystery would be enough to sustain a healthy connection. It was even more naive of me to think that knowing people for a longer time would deem me significant and immune to being replaced or shafted on the vast list of priorities. I could just visualize it; the moment they hear Cynthia sing with her well-trained--well-paid-for, if you ask me--voice, there would be jaws dropping and grandiose applause and Indee will fall on the list....down to number 19 as Cynthia flaunts her rank as #1 by singing "WOOOONNNN." Because she won. Let's just say she managed to make an extraordinary impression on an unmovable young man whom I had just became closer acquainted with and after they met, it was like it never meant a thing. Like I never meant a thing. I sat back and allowed life to just happen, but maybe this new force isn't the natural course of life, maybe she's the manmade hazard...
I can't be low enough to allow that to comfort me right now; reducing her. No. But this time, I know she can't take away the key that will determine the success of my future:  Zachariah.

No comments: